Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

at89s8253 with local pc via ethernet

Status
Not open for further replies.

hirenn

Full Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello Everyone !!

i have made hardware connection as shown in image. i want to get time from local pc and send it to microcontroller using LAN cable,

how could i do?? any reference code??
Thank !!! connection.jpg

Hi,

Other interfaces to PC:
* RS232, (mature)
* USB
* bluetooth

But generally you can do it like in the picture.

But you already have ethernet, you could also use internet time servers, instead of PC. No PC needed.

There are other radio time servers, like DCF77. It depends on your region.

Software.
Many possible solutions.
* create your own protocol
* use standard time server protocol and make your PC act as a time server.

Klaus

Hello
Yeah, but i want to use only without internet just as shown in image.
So, what we call it ?? A web server or else

Hi,

If you want to use common standards. Then:
* The PC act like a "time server"
* And it uses a protocol to transfer time data. Something like "NTP" = Network time protocol.

But you can use any other method.
You have to decide.
There are numerous possible methods.

But we don't know nothing. We don't even know your PC's operating system. Maybe Windows, maybe Linix, maybe other
Maybe there's already a time server running, maybe not.
Maybe there's a web server running, maybe not.
Maybe you want to write your own PC program, maybe not..
Maybe...

You need to give informations..

Klaus

I'm using 32 bit windows xp pc and have no internetas well no application on it.
If i use NTP protocol can i get time from pc and send it to my micro controller. I need only send data from pc to Microcontroller.

If you want the PC endlessly sending the time to the microcontroller without need of any request from it, perhaps you could think about to run there a PING command (you can call it in such a manner to keep running, no stop). If I'm correct, at the ICMP datagram there is a field with the time stamp of the sender. Not sure it it is a suited approach, but it is the first thing which came to mind

Status
Not open for further replies.