Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Asynchronous Serial Commuication (confused about start bit)

Status
Not open for further replies.

eng_boody

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi all I was reading on the internet that a start bit (transition from 1 to 0 ) indicate the start of a frame... but my question how do the receiver know that the transition between 1 and 0 is for start bit not a transition from 1 to 0 during data bits ...

another thing is there control bits for UART ?? I mean when I connect TX to receiver RX and a stream is already going from TX to RX do the receiver skips all the the bits before the next start bit ?? the question in another form when I connect TX to RX the first falling edge detected by the reciever ---> this falling edge is treated as transtion from idle to start or transition during data ??

how do the receiver know that the transition between 1 and 0 is for start bit not a transition from 1 to 0 during data bits ...
It can't be sure. If the receivers looses synchronization, it won't resync before a pause longer than character frame occurs.

pls explain to me in more details what do you mean by "a pause longer than character frame occurs"

also how it sync initially before a sync is lost

pls explain to me in more details what do you mean by "a pause longer than character frame occurs"

also how it sync initially before a sync is lost

What FvM means is a UART syncs to a start bit when there is a pause (RX input is 1) for longer than the time it takes to send: start bit, 8-bits, stop bit (e.g. 10 -bits).

This might help with your understanding. Looks like a reasonable explanation.
https://web.engr.oregonstate.edu/~traylor/ece473/lectures/uart.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.