Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] assigning std_logic to std_logic_vector

Status
Not open for further replies.

anonymous.

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I always use generics in my designs, for example I use WIDTH parameter with registers to specify how many bits it can hold, This has one problem though, If I need to use WIDTH=1 (a single Flip Flop) Design Compiler complains about signal assignment (Assigning std_logic from the top design to std_logic_vector from the register), Because this issue could happen at any stage of the design I decided to always replace all std_logics with std_logic_vector(0 downto 0) and that was it. Design Compiler never complains again about these.

Modelsim however does not accept this, this simple Mux example:
Code:
library ieee;
use ieee.std_logic_1164.all;
----------------------------------------
entity Mux_21 is
	generic
	(
		WIDTH 				: integer 	:= 8
	);
	port
	(
		FirstInput			: in 		std_logic_vector(WIDTH-1 downto 0);
		SecondInput			: in 		std_logic_vector(WIDTH-1 downto 0);
		Sel 				: in 		std_logic_vector(0 downto 0);
		Output 				: out 		std_logic_vector(WIDTH-1 downto 0)
	);
end entity; -- Mux_21
----------------------------------------
architecture Arch of Mux_21 is
begin

Output 		<= FirstInput 		when Sel = '0' else
			   SecondInput;

end architecture; -- Arch

generates this error :
Code:
No Feasible entries for infix operator "="

How to solve this issue in a manner that does not generate errors in both Design Compiler and Modelsim?

How to solve this issue in a manner that does not generate errors in both Design Compiler and Modelsim?
By observing VHDL syntax rules
Code:
when Sel = "0" 
respectively
when Sel(0) = '0'

It's not obvious at first sight why sel should be std_logic_vector, but of course it can.

That was easier than I thought, Thanks a lot.

Sorry to use the same thread again, But if I haven't used std_logic_vector(0 downto 0) what would have been the solution?? how to assign std_logic to std_logic_vector(0 downto 0) ?

In more details again, I mean in some cases I have to use designs with generics set to only 1, resulting in a signal of type std_logic_vector(0 downto 0). In the top designs these signals are assigned to std_logic signals which generates a type mismatch
Code:
[Error] Mismatch between type IEEE.STD_LOGIC_1164.STD_LOGIC_VECTOR of formal port INPUT and type IEEE.STD_LOGIC_1164.STD_ULOGIC of actual

Last edited:

in the instantiation, you could unroll the vector:
toto(
a(0) <= a;
a(1) <= b
);

but the "best" solution is never used std_logic, and only std_logic_vector(0 downto 0).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back