Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

anyone familiar with Modelsim?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hypend

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Now i am doing my thesis with modelsim to write some testbench, does anyone got some experience with modelsim? and could you introduce some good stuff to help me start?

you can download modelsim studying manual from www.fpga.com.cn.

best regards

hypend said:
Now i am doing my thesis with modelsim to write some testbench, does anyone got some experience with modelsim? and could you introduce some good stuff to help me start?

try studying modelsim help. It is the best material

u must read the tutorial of modelsim it will give u a good start, u dont need to know every thing in modelsim at first since u can learn new things with time but ill summarize important points for beginners:

-u must create a library to contain 2 files of .vhdl extension(ur testbench,ur design)
-u compile these files and the compiled output will be also in the library automatically.
-its better to create a project then create a library inside it .
-try to build a very simple design(AND gate logic for example then a flip-flop) to minimize error possibilities.
-if error appeared during compiling open the source of error and read the error message carfully(somtimes it points dirctly to the cause of error)
-start running the simulation.
-remember to initialise the clock to begin either from 0 or one or a statment lik this wont work correctly" clock <= not clock after 20ns" because ur design when first loaded it will use X if no logic is specified for the clock

as i said u must read the tutorial its very simple and ask again if u have further questions.

good luck.

I think the above suggestion is good for who wanted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back