Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Any need for external zero cross detector.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjjm

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am building a pic based heat controller which switches at the zero crossing points of the a.c mains. I have an mc3041 triac driver with an inbuilt zero cross detector, so is it neccessary for me to use a seperate external zero crossing detector.

MOC3041/2/ .. is a zero-crossing device .. you don't need to duplicte it's function ..

Regards,
IanP

this does have a zero-crossing internal to the chip...
i have a question however...

If you use this optocoupler to say drive a small fan motor (AC single phase),
how does this zero-crossing come into play?

how could i go about using this optocoupler to control fan speed? any pointers would help.

ZCD opto-triacs don't work with inductive load. They may even feed a DC voltage (halfwave) and damage the motor.

ZCD opto-triacs can't be used for phase angle control.

Thanks,
well noted.
I am currently using a Solid-State relay on the side... would this be better, or would you advise just getting a better opto?

you can control the speed of the motor giving to the load a certain amount of cicles.

This way, if you activate the MOC 50 out of 100 cycles you're giving to the load a 50% of power. The only problem you have with this method is the inertia of your load...

Status
Not open for further replies.