Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Any Li-Po protection solution for pack protection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eepty

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I would like to use the RC Li-Po battery such as these 11.1V RC batteries for a project. However these batteries do not embedded a protection board so I want to add one. I found that most of the battery protection IC solutions need to connect to each cell in the battery pack. It seems it is very difficult to do that for these batteries packs because it does not make sense to disassemble them.

I would like to ask is there any Li-Po battery protection solution that can be used for a pack?

The protection I need is mainly the over-discharge and over discharge current(25A) protection.

Hi,

I would like to ask is there any Li-Po battery protection solution that can be used for a pack?

There is a good reason that every individual cell is monitored.
The cells are not equal and especially with temperature and aging the cell condition may drift.

When one cell is weaker than others (what is expectable) then especially this cell will be stressed the most, causing increased aging to the already weakest cell.
This will cause premature kill to this cell ... for sure the complete pack will refuse to work anymore.

You can´t protect the whole pack by just looking at the pack voltage.

Klaus

All RC Li-Po battery packs I have seen have two connectors. One high power connector for the total output voltage and current, and the second connector has a wire from each cell for a balanced charger to use.
But I do not look at or buy no-name-brand cheap Chinese junk from ebay.

Status
Not open for further replies.