Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Any issues with Zeners or Tranzorbs in series?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chicowoodhill

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
At first thought, it seems one can use Zeners or Tranzorbs in series and obtain the sum of the reverse voltages.

Right or wrong? Any issues to be considered?

Thanks...

Yes, I think you can, but take into account that while transzorb are very fast, zener are usually quite slow.
This will have effect in clipping fast pulses.

Yes, I think you can, but take into account that while transzorb are very fast, zener are usually quite slow.
This will have effect in clipping fast pulses.

Thanks. It seems logical that it would work but I wondered if there were any subtle issues, as for example there are with electrolytic caps in series.

Series connection is explicitely mentioned in transzorb datasheets. There are absolutely no subtile issues, series connection is simply required to achieve high clamp voltages, e.g. for active clamping of IGBTs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back