Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Any future for hardware design engineers ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slasher_44

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
This is a question apart from Technical.

I'm currently working as a board design engineer in a firm. I have 2 years of experience now .Although i like my careed , I'm bit doubtful about the future of my domain .. Seeing most of the new trends happening only in VLSI and ASICs .. FPGAs etc .. the question that comes to my mind is ... What does the future holds for BOARD DESIGN Engineers in INDIA (or anywhere) for the next 10 Years or so ? will it be an obsolete thing , by the time I reach a good experience ??

I know there are many experienced guys around here who can give clarity to me . I'm hoping for the same .

Thanks

Hi Slasher_44, very good question to ask in your situation. The development of the electronic industry has been very dynamic in the last 40-50 years due to the high innovation rate and integration capability. 40 years ago the design was more around logic gates, analog circuits and discrete. then the microprocessor pushed a lot of application development to software. Today more work is spend in software design then in hardware. Hardware design has become to system partitioning/design and packaging. PCB design is on one side very simple if everything is on one single IC and on the other side very complex HF-design - like on mobile phone. Since the integration trend will continue the required skills will continuously change and expand. Everything will get faster, smaller, cheaper and different. So only specializing in advanced areas will be key to keep an interesting job with better survival chances. The competition for simple jobs will be high I think and you can only grow with the demanding task. Focus on the areas where you are strong and sensing the need in the companies you can/want to work for seems to be the best to secure your personal future. Continuous learning is the price you have to pay for that.

Enjoy your design work!

Hi HTA ,

Thanks a lot for your reply .. Yes .. thats exactly what even I was thinking .. Should I try with masters in a more advanced course like VLSI or something .. so that I will have a chance to survive in the changing trends .. I think that will be a secure option !!

Hi Slasher_44, the best choise is a combination of "your strength" plus "demand" from companies you can/like to work in. So demand driven, or otherwize you generate skills not needed in your area(or you have to move where companies are demanding this new skills).

Enjoy your design work!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back