Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Any chip faster than 555?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nurech

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I want to make my mouse make rapid clicks, does anyone know if there are any faster chips than the 555 timer with same workflow? Thanks!

did you mean higher frequency ?
use 74hc04 oscillator for higher frequency than 555
**broken link removed**

It can't give out pulses, can it? I'm not much of a electronics guy but according to my googleing and the schematics it's an inverter. I need an continious stream of pulses.
Could you please elaborate where to add the quartz/resonator to get a higher frequency.

Last edited:

I think 555 typically runs at 2.1MHz, usng 1k and 10k capacitor and a resistor I can get 900 hertz which is around 15 mouse clicks per second. I need ~4 times faster.

Well, am I using the wrong capacitors and resistors then? Or maybe my mentioned 900 hertz is wrong? Either case with that chip and those 2 parts I can only get 15 clicks per/s max.
Using 555 in astable mode:
10K Resistor
1K Resistor
4.7uF Capacitor

220px-555_Astable_Diagram.svg.png

Last edited:

Well, am I using the wrong capacitors and resistors then? Or maybe my mentioned 900 hertz is wrong? Either case with that chip and those 2 parts I can only get 15 clicks per/s max.
10K Resistor
1K Resistor
4.7uF Capacitor
OK, this is starting to make sense.

I assume R1 = 1K and R2 = 10K. That would indeed give 15 "clicks per/s", which is 15 hertz. "Hertz" means cycles per second, not per minute.

To make it go faster, you just need to use a smaller capacitor. The frequency of the output in Hz (or clicks per second) is inversely proportional to the value of the capacitor. e.g. If you go from 4.7uF to 0.47uF, the circuit will run 10 times faster.

10K Resistor
1K Resistor
4.7uF Capacitor

220px-555_Astable_Diagram.svg.png
Yes those values are wrong. How did you determine them? Here's a calculator that will help you with that.

Reactions: Nurech

Nurech

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
That's perfect, I just assumed I hit the max with 555.

- - - Updated - - -

That's perfect, I just assumed I hit the max with 555.

Just in case someone needs a better 555 there is the 7555 **broken link removed**

Okay so this should work now?
Also, where should I add an LED that will also flash with that frequency when on/off is used.
Sorry, I draw both 1k, but bottom is 10 with 1/4w.

rizsjp.jpg

Edit: found this online editor called circutlab, I have no idea how to use the simulation.
So this is the same schematic I made before, except this time I added an LED to the output, so if push-down button(mouse button) is pressed down, the circut runs, outputting that frequency and flashing that LED at the same speed, correct?

160bhw4.png

Last edited:

So this is the same schematic I made before, except this time I added an LED to the output, so if push-down button(mouse button) is pressed down, the circut runs, outputting that frequency and flashing that LED at the same speed, correct?
That should work OK. However I'd connect the bottom of the LED to ground instead of to the output because it's probably flashing too fast for the eye to pick up, so it will look like a continuous glow anyway. If you can see the flicker, it will just be annoying/distracting, IMHO.

Edit: found this online editor called circutlab, I have no idea how to use the simulation.
At least it let's you draw neat diagrams unlike some of the garbage that get's posted around here.:)

[rant]
How to annoy everyone in 3 easy steps:
  1. Draw a messy diagram with a crayon on a piece of scrap paper.
  2. Take a blurry photo of it with your cellphone.
  3. Upload it as a 2MB attachment.
No kidding! Some people actually do stuff like that.
[/rant]

BTW, I'm curious: What do you plan to use this for? It sounds like a good "cheat" for rapid fire in games. Are you planning to put the circuitry inside the mouse and add an extra button to it, or what?

Status
Not open for further replies.