Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Antenna to receive 50Hz

Status
Not open for further replies.

bubuta77

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi.
If it is possible to design an antenna to receive 50hz from air and design it at small size
Thanks

"Receiving" 50 Hz refers to picking up either the alternating electromagnetic or electrostatic field. You won't actually sense 50 Hz as an electromagbetic wave, considering the wavelength of 6000 km. Measuring 50 Hz magnetical field with a small coil is pretty easy.

The size will depends on the wavelength and therefore will not be small for 50Hz

Good thoughts. If so, you can receive energy without paying.

Unfortunately, as far as i know it will be huge
The size will depends on the wavelength and therefore will not be small for 50Hz

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, but it looks impossible to implement ...
Good thoughts. If so, you can receive energy without paying.

You didn't tell what you actually want to achieve.

There's no problem to implement an electrically small antenna for 50 Hz, particularly a magnetical one. If you want to achieve a certain efficiency, the design is bound to elementary laws of physics. Antenna gain is a function of effective antenna height, in a rough estimation defined by the ratio of antenna size to wavelength.

Hi.
If it is possible to design an antenna to receive 50hz from air and design it at small size
Thanks

Yes, and it is the bane of many audio designs, where coupling occurs from a 50 Hz mains transformer into wires it is not intended to couple into.

A half-wavelength antenna at 50 Hz will be around 3 miiiion metres, so any pracitcal antenna is going to be electrically small.

What is the idea of this - to get free electricity? I heard a rumor one could get this by using the small voltage between earth and neutral, as that is not metered. I've tried it, and it does work, but the amount of power is very small. I heard about someone heating their greenhouse like this, but that did not look practical to me.

Dave

I think designing the antenna based on the half-wavelength for 50 Hz is not practical!!! (L ~ 3000 km)
but a small loop (magnetic probe) or thin wire (electric probe) or coaxial cable with extended core (electric probe) can be received the electric or magnetic energy and are used in the near field scanning.
you can see near field probe in **broken link removed** or **broken link removed**.
They can easily receive the electric and magnetic energy with frequency about kHz.

- - - Updated - - -

I think designing the antenna based on the half-wavelength for 50 Hz is not practical!!! (L ~ 3000 km)
but a small loop (magnetic probe) or thin wire (electric probe) or coaxial cable with extended core (electric probe) can be received the electric or magnetic energy and are used in the near field scanning.
you can see near field probe in http://www.ets-lindgren.com/7405 or http://tmworld.com/design/design-and-prototyping/4380475/Near-field-probes-sniff-circuits.
They can easily receive the electric and magnetic energy with frequency about kHz.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back