Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Antenna of Different Frequency

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmat

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
i have none background w.r.t. antennas. I have a very simple question.
I have an antenna which is supposed to work at frequencies 5.4-5.85Ghz. I also have equipment
for communication between cars which ends at an SMA connector and i am
supposed to connect an antenna operating at frequencies 5.85-5.925GHz.
If i connect the 5.4-5.85GHz antenna at the SMA connector what will
happen?

Thnx,
pmat

Hi Pmat

what happens,lot of things might happen.

it might work if the return loss of the antenna is close to-10dB at that frequency. but considering that filters and amplifiers behind the antenna structure either your frequencies will be filtered out

it might not work out at all

Regards
Rotmanlens.

The "improper" antenna usually would not do any problem to the TX or RX; if it is not matched, it will not radiate so well as desired; also its radiation pattern may change.

If you have the equipment and antenna, try it. You can operate over a shorter range with such combination but I guess there will be no significant change in performance.

Reactions: pmat

pmat

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Since the antenna is not very narrowband and covers from 5.4 to 5.85Ghz, I wouldn't expect dramatic degradations in return loss and pattern when moving to 5.85-5.925 GHz.
I think it is very likely that the antenna system will work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back