Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Antenna Measurement Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

winglj

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, everyone.

I am now doing some antenna measurement with HP 8510 network analyzer. I also connect the RF signal generator to a extender to do the anechonic chamber measurement.

Every thing is OK while doing bench test for S parameter, but for chamber measurement, the network analyzer always shows that the IF signal overload, even I try to reduce the signal generator output to its minimum (-20dBm).

By observing the receving signal, it seems at lower frequency which the receving signal over -10dBm (I am not sure, but the network analyzer shows channel 'a' is -10dB), the IF will overload.

My question is whether I need to add a 10dB attenuator to the extender to overcome this problem?

Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure... but i think that for antenna measurement, a special set of instruments are needed. I don't rem. the name but it's basically an 8510 but taylored for antenna measurement.

To answer more specifically to your question.... Have you applied the rough law " longer the cables, slower the measurement" ? This topic is well described on Agilent AN1291-1B. Without ad hoc delay lines (that are placed on the rear of the 8510 rack), you only perform very slow measurement ( i.e. 20 sec for 20 meter log cables)

Status
Not open for further replies.