Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

antenna for 15- 20 GHz

Status
Not open for further replies.

tender_006

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hai all,

can any one tell which antenna will be best for high frequencies .i want to desgin antenna for 15 and 20 GHz. application is point to point to communication. if any one have any article plz forward me

thanks
hari

It does not really make sense to ask what antenna is best without setting the stage first.

What do you want the antenna to do? Where will it be mounted? What are the requirements? What is the cost and performance goal? What are the size constraints?

Define your situation and then you can expect to get reasonable suggestions. This site has guidance and suggestions to create useful questions.

thank you veru much for ur very kind reply.. the antenn which i want to design is for microwave point to point communication. it will be mounted on the tower top, i looking for very low cost and low profile. so if u any idea reagarding this forward to me

im doin a project on microstrip patch antenna...can anybdy help me abt sum issues...which is..why isit 2.45GHz is the ideal operating freq for microstip antenna....2nd question is why isit 50Ω transmission line is always used??only these 2 things i wan help from everybdy

tender_006 said:
thank you veru much for ur very kind reply.. the antenn which i want to design is for microwave point to point communication. it will be mounted on the tower top, i looking for very low cost and low profile. so if u any idea reagarding this forward to me

Point to point microwave communication installed on Tower => (usually) Parabolic Antenna. Keep in mind that the wind resistor is a big problem for the antennas that are supposed to be installed on a tower.

Added after 5 minutes:

alagen said:
im doin a project on microstrip patch antenna...can anybdy help me abt sum issues...which is..why isit 2.45GHz is the ideal operating freq for microstip antenna....2nd question is why isit 50Ω transmission line is always used??only these 2 things i wan help from everybdy

Alagen,

2.45GHz is NOT the ideal operating frequency!!!! It is the frequency of ISM band and you will need to optimize your antenna for the operating band of interest.

50Ω is 10% mid point of 33Ω (corresponds to max power capacity of TRL) and 73.5Ω (corresponds to min loss of TRL).

I recommend you reading Stutsman's Antenna and Colin's Microwave books for comprehensive Antenna and uW knowledge.

How can I make a simple wireless device which transmits n receives over a known freq range, over say, a few cms. Suppose the antenna is just a wire, what are the stages I need to append before transmitting and the stages required at the receiving end in order to obtain decent selectivity.

The data transmitted may be assumes digital data, hence the consequent allowances can be made.

The transmitter is more or less the same with most. U may or may not include a modulation scheme. It is the receiver that I'm even more concerned.

low cost and profile would imply a patch antenna. I note you say nothing about the radiation pattern characteristics of the antenna you seek. Interesting. That would be my first issue if I was selecting an antenna.

As i told, I'm only trying to use a piece of wire as an antenna. The radiation at present can be assumed omni-directional. I'm more concerned with the electronics prior to the antenna in the transmitter and after the antenna in the receiver.

Instead of using a better antenna, I want better circuitry!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back