Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Antenna Diversity for Mobile Phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

kilik

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
mobile phone with rx diversity

Hi,

I have a question what is about the antenna diversity.
Is the antenna diversity tech. improve a mobile phone or a WIFI phone :?:
Someone told me this tech. is not effect for a mobile phone or a WIFI phone. But why :?:

BR
Kilik

which mobile phone supports antenna diversity

Hi,
When high QOS is required over a wireless link (ex. video streaming, high quality audio streaming..), a low BER must be achieved over the transmission. In closed spaces or in spaces with multiple obstacles, radio transmissions can be altered by cross fadings, multipath propagations, etc. These can affect the QOS. This is why are used often two antennas in the same transceiver, and the selected antenna is the one with the best received signal.

Hi,

Antenna diversity help to improve the link quailtiy in fading environment. Besides mobile phone ane Wifi, this technology is also implemented in some cordless phone system like DECT. It is suggested to place 2 antennas in orthogonal direction in handset. When first antenna is receiving signal in fading channel, the second antenna will be switched on and compensate the fading effect of signal receiving in firs antenna.

THat is to say, antenna diversity improve the signal quality. Of course, without this technology you still can talk to your friend using mobile phone. However, the sound quality is not as good as system implemented with antenna diversity.

eecly

I thought that antenna diversity is implemented in the BTS but not in the mobile phone in itself?

Hi, Everyone

Thx for your replies.
These replies could be my references.

BR
Kilik :)

you can also use transmit diversity also. This kind of system that use both Tx and RX diversity is called MIMO. It offers either robustness or speed.

diversity can be increased more than selection by using maximal ratio combining. i have heard that transmit diversity in the base station has been included now only in the standard. other forms of spatial diversity have not been included.

with cell phones getting smaller and smaller can they provide sufficient separation between the different antennas in the cellular phone.

are concepts like mimo specifically meant for applications like wireless lans and for things which are fixed and can be bulky.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back