Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

anisotropic vs isotropic

Status
Not open for further replies.

manifolds

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
could somebody tell me what is the major difference between anisotropic and isotropic media? any good reference should i refer to?

anisotropic is the etching process that will result in a straight figure while isotropic is the etch underneath the resist.

pls refer to this slide book by hong xiao ....pic taken from the slides...it's in the chapter 9

sorry as i dont know how to post image in this post...

Last edited by a moderator:

In the area of dielectric constants, material that is made from woven glass fibers have a different value in different directions.

In the semiconductor etching, V grooves are an example of etching speeds being different along different axis directions.

A material property is said to be isotropic if it does not depend upon direction. A similiar term is homogeity; a material property is said to be homogeneous if it does not depend upon position.

Isotropy and homogeneity often arise in material properties that depends on the microscpoic crystal structure of the material. Some of which I know include: elasticity and strain, electric susceptibility of dielectric materials (i.e. dielectric constant), the optical properties of some crystalline materials under the influence of an electric field (liquid crystals), as well as the electrical properties of some materials under a strong magnetic field (ferrites).

isotrpic means omnidirectional ie its property will same at all directions
anisotrpic means having directionsllity (in some direction it will have special features)

Status
Not open for further replies.