Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

and gate using pmos and nmos

Status
Not open for further replies.

rp276

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
can we make" and gate "with only one pmos and only one nmos? please help...

No,you can't. You can only make one inverter with one nmos & pmos.
you may need 3 pairs to do it

Last edited:

You can almost make a (not very good) AND gate by connecting the NMOS To Vdd and PMOS to Vss. The voltages won't reach the rails and the NMOS needs to be sized to be a lot stronger than the PMOS and you end up with a 'floating' state.

Keith

@keith are you saying of using NMOS with gate connected to 1st i/p(say A) & Vdd & a PMOS with gate connected to 2nd i/p(say,B) & Vss.
When A,B both low => PMOS on,so o/p is low. When A,B both high => NMOS is on,o/p is high.

When A is high,B is low=> Both are ON,but NMOS width made much higher than PMOS so o/p is high ????? Shouldn't NMOS Ron be made higher than PMOS so as to make o/p low

That is what I am suggesting. It depends on the purpose of the original question. If it is "can you make a useful AND gate with 1 PMOS and 1 NMOS" then the answer is no. If it is an academic question to provoke some lateral thinking then I think the answer is still no, but you can get part way there as I suggested. It won't give rail to rail swing and there is an "undefined state" with both transistors OFF though. If you had a depletion NMOS you may be able to come up with something better.

Keith

Status
Not open for further replies.