Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Analog division / One quadrant multiplier

Status
Not open for further replies.

juz_ad

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm researching Division circuits to divide an input voltage of between approx. 0.1 to 10V by a reference voltage of approx. 0.8V. The planned circuit is part of an RMS to dBu converter.

There's a standard 4x op amp 4x transistor circuit in some of the major app notes and Walter Jungs op amp book but I've also been reading about quadrant multipliers.

Firstly - is it possible that division can be performed with a one quadrant multiplier?

Secondly - can anyone point me to some schematics for a one quadrant multiplier? Most of my books jump straight to four-quadrant,

I'm looking for transistor/op-amp circuits - not dedicated ICs please.

Thanks.

Why no ICs? Is this homework?

It's not homework.

I don't want to use ICs simply because I'd like to build it myself. I'm semi-familiar with some of the elements of the op-amp multiplier/divider circuits as I've done anti-log conversion before and this seems like not too far a jump from that.

I asked about quadrant multipliers because they appear to be based on current mirrors and I've done a little bit of work with transistor OTAs. A four quadrant multiplier is more complex than I want or need (I think…) - but I figured, if I could do division with a one-quadrant multiplier - then that might be a simpler circuit to get me started.

I can always build a more complex one later - or give up and use a dedicated IC!

Thanks.

Hi Juz_ad!

In the past, I was looking for a solution to an analog divider with single power supply, but only managed a multiplier circuit based on the MC1495. With the divider circuit I have not such success. I think that may be a base of your analog divider development.

Feri.

Sorry for my English.
If you need the complete PSpice file I will post it.

Attachments

• Test Points.pdf
    173.4 KB · Views: 81
  • Uout=F((Uin1 x Uin2) by 10).pdf
    24.8 KB · Views: 79
  • Possible Analog Divider.pdf
    166.3 KB · Views: 120
Status
Not open for further replies.