Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Amps drawn by devices from Power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

djranis

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have been told by my power supply maker that my power supply has a limit to 3 Amps. He explained that collection of devices that draw more than 3 amps will damage my power supply. Can anyone suggest me how to calculate power drawn by a device ? I am confused over the fact if it has anything to do with Resistance or Gain of the device.

Best way is put a current meter in series with one device and check current value.
Do same to all devices.

Then all connected devices take sum of their currents from power supply.

KAK

It sounds as if your supply has no protection at all at the output. If this is so, you might like to consider wiring a 3A fuse in series with the output. It could be in a panel-mounted holder, or in an in-line fuseholder.

Thank you all for replying. SO basically the whole circuit with multiple devices can be imagined as multiple devices connected parallel to a source and upon dividing source voltage by overall parallel resistance the amps can calculated. Therefore if amps > 3 amps only then is it hazardous to my power supply? Syncopator thanks for your concern about the fuse and yes my power supply does have a fuse.

Thank you all for replying. SO basically the whole circuit with multiple devices can be imagined as multiple devices connected parallel to a source and upon dividing source voltage by overall parallel resistance the amps can calculated. Therefore if amps > 3 amps only then is it hazardous to my power supply?
Yes, that's correct.

Syncopator thanks for your concern about the fuse and yes my power supply does have a fuse.
Is the fuse in the primary, i.e. the mains supply? If so, I would like to see an additional one in series with the output.

Status
Not open for further replies.