Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

AM VHF (122.7mhz monopole antenna - ground plane effects

Status
Not open for further replies.

grtbluyonder

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Aircraft with composite or fabric wings and bodies rarely have adequate ground planes for their antennas. Investigating the impact of 'too little' ground plane all I've been able to find is information that relates to the radiation pattern. It appears that as the ground plane shrinks the radiation pattern tends to point more and more towards the direction of the vertical stick instead of radiating in a proper 'donut' pattern.

My questions are:

1. What is the impact on the VSWR of having too little ground plane (start with no ground plane, then move to adequate and how does the VSWR change if at all?

2. What is the impact of the radiation resistance of the antenna from zero ground plane (other than the feed coax) trending towards adequate?

3. What is the impact on antenna impedance as seen by the transmitter as the ground plane goes from zero to adequate.

I'm assuming that adequate for a 2.2 meter antenna would be just less than one square meter under the vertical stick.

Any help on this will be greatly appreciated.

Allan.

ground plane affects only radiation pattern, and nothing else.

Status
Not open for further replies.