Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Aluminium heatsinks in LED light bulbs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

treez

LED light bulbs above 10W almost always feature a specially smelted aluminium heatsink.
Smelting aluminium takes prodigious amounts of energy.
Thus LED light bulbs with aluminium heatsinks are not energy efficient.

Fluorescent bulbs don't use aluminium heatsinks

Do you agree?

What difference does it make if someone agrees or not?
I don't see the point of your question apart from creating another pointless debate that can lead to no conclusion which is exactly what happened to the other threads you have created lately.

We are being kidded that LED light bulbs mean less energy.........but they use aluminium heatsinks.............and aluminium smelting factories tend to get sited near power stations, because of the sheer amount of energy that they use.
Is somebody pulling the wool over our eyes about led light bulbs?, that's what I am saying.

LED light bulbs above 10W almost always feature a specially smelted aluminium heatsink.
Smelting aluminium takes prodigious amounts of energy.
Thus LED light bulbs with aluminium heatsinks are not energy efficient.

Fluorescent bulbs don't use aluminium heatsinks

Do you agree?
Hi Treez
The point is if we consume e.g 10 watt how much of this power will be exchanged into the light and how much into the heat . just try to compare LED versus Fluorescent bulbs with this consideration , then you'll get that LEDs are more efficient . as far as i know furthermore LEDs won't create high value of ultraviolet wave as fluorescent bulbs are dealing with . and their life is much longer and many other good points !

Best Wishes
Goldsmith

and FL tubes need glass smelting and a larger metal reflector/housing

Every street light and every traffic light in my pretty big city are LED now because they use low power and last a long time.
Sure they use aluminium heatsinks. So what! Many products are aluminium and are thrown away after one year of use.

IMO EDAboard is a technical discussion forum not a debating society.

Keith

Reactions: treez

T

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
I agree with Keith but will add that it's proabably time we (as a society) looked at lifetime energy efficiency and not just V*I.

Although I hate waste, I have to agree with Audioguru, consider that an average persons weekly garbage probably contains enough metal to make several LED heatsinks - and there are an awful lot of people producing garbage!

Brian.

Reactions: treez

T

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
While I agree that total energy is a highly relevant subject - e.g. eco homes built with concrete and materials shipped half way round the world don't make eco sense - I think we should confine the EDAboard discussions to the technical aspects of electronics not the philosophical otherwise these threads just drone on and get nowhere.

Keith

Status
Not open for further replies.