Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Altium summer 2009 Assembly designators

Status
Not open for further replies.

bklippenstein

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
So far I've found that adding a string containing ".designator" to a mechanical layer to each component will allow the production of an assembly drawing.
I have two questions regarding this:

First, is there a way to show or hide these designators on either the top or bottom layer, ie, show only the assembly designators for those components who reside on the top layer, hide the assembly designators for those components who reside on the bottom layer?

Second, is there a way to force Altium to evaluate the string in the normal view, so it actually shows the designator (say C1) instead of ".designator"?

Basically, I end up with this, and it sucks :(

Thanks a lot for anyone's help.

-First, is there a way to show or hide these designators on either the top or bottom layer, ie, show only the assembly designators for those components who reside on the top layer, hide the assembly designators for those components who reside on the bottom layer?

-right click the designator anf 'find similar objects' at the opened window choose layers as 'same' and click apply. now open the pcb inspector window. and you will see there 'Hide' button. click it.

regards.

---------- Post added at 13:33 ---------- Previous post was at 13:31 ----------

-Second, is there a way to force Altium to evaluate the string in the normal view, so it actually shows the designator (say C1) instead of ".designator"?

- how can you do that?

-right click the designator anf 'find similar objects' at the opened window choose layers as 'same' and click apply. now open the pcb inspector window. and you will see there 'Hide' button. click it.

regards.

That doesn't work for me, all my assembly designators are on the same layer, mechanical 4. I just add them as a string in the component footprint design.
Is there a better way to add the designators for the assembly drawing?

Under the view option in the PCB there is a "Convert special Strings". you will need to enable it to see the real designator.
Try this query for your .designators to be selected "(ObjectKind = 'Text') And (StringText = '.Designator')". Then you can show/hide them with the inspector.

If you place components on top and bottom layer you will need to create a mechanical layer pair for the assembly layers. Hit"L" and then you will see on the bottom left corner "Layer pair".

Reactions: rehakm

rehakm

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thanks a lot, that's exactly what I was looking for.

B

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back