Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Altium libraries how does it work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gazzi

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm fairly new to this, so am stuck already.
In Altium, if a part isn't in the libraries I know I can add other libraries and search those, but what do I do if it's not to be found?

An example is 6n138 opto-isolators. Do I just use a generic 6 pin IC in some library? Or is there some place for these I am missing?

Am I better off using Eagle since it seems much more widely used, and I'm more likely to find these parts?

you can't find all part in the library but you can easly find the library of footprint, there is différent component that has the same footprint, in your cas you search for a DIP-8 in the footprint library

Reactions: gazzi

gazzi

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
That is helpful. I assumed that there were custom libraries for most common components, but I guess maybe not all.

How about if I was looking for jacks or plugs, like the 5 pin din plugs used on PC AT keyboards in the 80's and now used now as MIDI connectors?

What is the generic footprint for those?

Actually if you're exeperienced with Altium you should not worry about any footprints or schematic components - creating new components in Altium is easy and you can get quickly exactly what you want. For time you spent in this forum you could create your component. I would recommend you to find some tutorial for Altium how to create new components like Altium Designer Tutorial: Create a component library - YouTube

gazzi

Thanks. I will watch that again.

It seems like many steps to make a component, but perhaps it's easier than it looks.

---------- Post added at 08:55 ---------- Previous post was at 07:38 ----------

you can't find all part in the library but you can easly find the library of footprint, there is différent component that has the same footprint, in your cas you search for a DIP-8 in the footprint library

I did find DIP-8 in the footprint library, but can you tell me the next step to be able to actually use it in a schematic?
Do I need to create a component to be able to place it?

the component library could be 2 different types - PCB and schematic library. There is one additional type called integrated library which holds both PCB and schematic libraries together (it's like a project and link between them) and this is the best way to use libraries.

If you have PCB footprint in the library it's only applicable in the PCB design, If you have schematic component - it's only applicable in the schematic. So if you have DIP8 footprint - this component is only for your PCB design. In order to use it in the schematic you need to create a schematic component and you can select for the "footpring" the DIP8.

gazzi

That does make sense, but it seems like one would spend a lot of time making components. I looked up a handful of devices for my project and they did not seem to exist, so I need to make them.

If there is a footprint I can use already, maybe this step is faster and easier than I'm thinking.

Hi Gazzi. Luben11 is right: Creating a new component in Altium is easy. I never bother to look for a component in standard libraries. From my experience is faster to create new footprint rather then spend time looking for it, checking it and correcting it. You may want to have a look on one of my posts Altium Designer – Creating useful library - (FEDEVEL)

Last edited:

Excellent. Will definitely watch it.

Altium integrated library also can include 3D models of the components and even useful information like the prices, distributors, etc. From this view point it's worth to spend some time to create your own library with all information you need. Some useful tricks:
1. If you have a schematic and you like some schematic component you can copy it (Cntr-C) and then paste it (include it) into the schematic library.
2. The same you can do with PCB footprints - if you have some PcbDoc file you can copy some of the footprints into your library.
3. If you want to clone some of the components in the Schematic library (sch library already opened) - open the Library Window (View/WorkspacePanels/SCH/Schematic Library) - copy some component (Cntr-C) and paste it (Cntr-V)

I cannot seem to find the steps to locate and open a blank version of a dip 24 IC to create a new IC.

It seems like I need to extract all the libraries I might want to use part from, and then open, so I can cut and paste into my library.
I can use some 24dip that way, and modify to my part.

Is this the way?

Last edited:

I didn't see the component wizard until just now.

What I was doing was finding a dip24 in a library somewhere, opening that library, and decompiling if it was an IntLib, then selecting that component to edit, then copy and pasting into my library, renaming the outline, linking my part in my custom SchLib to the part in my custom PcbLib.

Yes it works, but it seems like a lot of steps.

I will watch you new video. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back