Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Altium Designer - area selection of the component is too broad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Onedust

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello everyone,

I have a problem with Altium. When I try to select a component in PCB the area which is highlighted by this component is way broader then the component itself (like half of the screen). It also prevents me from selecting other components, or rather to say, it makes it really hard. Is it some kind of room? How can I disable it?

best regards

Den

HI,
This problem may be due to the any
Hidden polygons
Hidden component text
Wonky Component Reference (?)
far away from the component in PCB library.

anilrock87,

doesn't seem like hidden polygons and 100% not a component text. It's just wherever I click there are 3 elements (LDOs) which show up for selection. If I click on an area where there are some other components, it adds it to the list of choice, but these freakin LDOs are still in the list. Btw, I used this components before and I didn't have this problem, so PCB lib should be also ok. I'll attach a pic. U8, U3, U6 are the LDOs which popping up wherever I click, C24 is the element I wanted to choose. If I move my cursor to one of the U's, the whole screen will be highlighted. Any suggestions how to solve it? To remind again - I already used this elements in THIS pcb design. This problem popped up few days ago.

https://obrazki.elektroda.pl/3365561200_1378290152.jpg

regards,

Den

Hi,
I suggest you to attach one more image which shows the component selection

hi
I think it's better to upload altium project. It will be easier for others to find and fix the problem.
if you don't want to post your entire project, make a trimmed down version with the problem.

Hi all,

here are 3 pics of the selection sequence. Actually, I'm selecting a blank area to show what happens.
Also I've attached a PCB doc. It's a bit of a mess, since it's my first project with CAD system and DAC3484 has a really bad package where you can fanout only with 3 mil traces and because of the therm.pad you can't fanout on the inside with vias. If someone wants to give me suggestions on where I should pay attention or what should I change, please do so, it would be great. The PCB consist of LDOs and DAC3484.

regards

Den

Attachments

• prob_1_1.jpg
    prob_1_1.jpg
    331 KB · Views: 174
  • prob_1_2.jpg
    prob_1_2.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 140
  • prob_1_3.jpg
    prob_1_3.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 145
  • Transmitter.PcbDoc.zip
    129.3 KB · Views: 123

HI,
I guess definitely this is the problem with PCB footprint.
There may be some primitive far away from the footprint, so that's why component selection is larger.
Please try to recreate the symbol and update back to pcb or you can also delete the primitive outside the footprint by selecting the outside area of the component, To select the outside area go to edit/select/outside area.

- - - Updated - - -

I suspect the problem with U3, U6 & U8.

For better understanding i regenerated the problem in one board and attached the image, please see the image.

Attachments

• PCB Library.png
    PCB Library.png
    8.1 KB · Views: 146
  • PCB.png
    PCB.png
    18.6 KB · Views: 143
thanks anilrock,

I didn't find the primitives, since it was keeping selecting the blank area when I choose "edit/select/outside area", but I decomposed the LDOs into free primitives. And it solved the problem. Although now, it doesn't see it as one component, but only as primitives: pads, vias, etc. But, at least I can keep working...although, I'm finished, but it's good to know for the future.

regards

Den

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back