Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Altium "Convert Special Strings" Does not Work

Status
Not open for further replies.

cciarleg

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I am trying to create my PCB assembly drawing and I have added a .Designator to one of my components, uploaded the change to the PCB, and it shows up as ".Designator", without changing to the component designator. I have checked "convert special strings" in my schematic preferences.

What else do I need to do to ensure that the designator shows up correctly?

Thanks.

Just to show the problem, I have attached the PCBlib component and a picture of what it looks like on the board. This seems like an easy thing. I have no idea why it is not following the tutorials/instructions I have found. PCBLib Component.pngPCB comp on board.png

Hi,

First go to pcb and hit "END" button to refresh.
Go to PCB and check on which layer this .Designator text is coming up and play around that layer.
go to project ->project options -> parameters and add parameter.
By the way, I didn't get ur objective. we have refdes already on topsilk. what do we need this .Designator text for?

Regards
skr

I don't know if you solved this already or not, but there are separate "convert special strings" options for both the schematic and the PCB. Sounds like you just need to enable the PCB's convert special strings setting. You can find it under the view options tab of the layers dialog box. (Keyboard shortcut "L" for the layers dialog box, then switch to the "view options" tab.)

@ssankurathri: The OP wants to use a different string on the assembly layer for the reference designators on the assembly drawing. That provides the ability to move and place them in an optimal spot (like in the center of the part body) instead of using the potentially limited locations of the silkscreen reference designator (which are usually located outside of the part's body).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back