Status
Not open for further replies.

UStralian

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Say I have a large number of differential pairs, eg ch1-16_P and _N. I can combine each pair into a harness, eg DIFPAIR = D_P,D_N. But to tie all of those pairs together, I need to use another harness, eg CHANNELS=CH1,CH2,...,CHn. I can't, for example, use that harness to feed a REPEAT block on a multi-channel schematic, but I could if they were in a bus. I can't make a bus called, for example, D_P[16..1] and D_N[16..1] because that breaks the differential pair functionality - nets need to be named xxx_N and xxx_P to be recognized as diff pairs, and those nets would be named D_P1, D_P2 etc. I have to keep all the wires separate on a parent sheet and add multiple sheet objects to reuse a child schematic which takes one of the diff pairs.

So my question, then, is is there a way to create a bus where each of the elements is a harness, not a wire?

I've never seen harnesses being combined with a bus, so I don't think it's possible. Harnesses are typically used to group logical signals together, for example MISO, MOSI and SCK for SPI or SDA and SCL for I²C. If all 16 channels form a 16 bit wide differential data bus, it would be logical to feed all 32 lines into the same harness, I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…