Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

alternative computer input device that wears itself around one's hand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bodhisattva

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello
I have been working on an alternative computer input device for a while.
I wanted to resurrect the forgotten concept of the Corded Keyboard.
I have several possible ways I can make it so combinations of five fingers (pressing up or down) can output 26 letters of English alphabet and other text symbols.

I theorized that if a trained subject would learn to use the keyboard while being scanned with electromyography (EMG), the computer can be taught to use the muscle contraction impulses to receive text input, while the subject may be taught how to communicate without actually physically moving components of the keyboard but thinking about doing so.
I thought of this after I read an article about a theory based on some Eastern health and martial arts techniques use thought of contracting a muscle to improve reaction time.
For now I have a device is an attempt to build this:

CAD - finger drawing.gif

It looks like this:

IMG_2668.JPG
IMG_2670.JPG

Array of springs is located vertically during normal operation so operator's hand is not twisted and tennis elbow would not occur.

Every finger goes into a spring that can touch one of the two copper plates to complete two circuits.
A thumb has four such circuits it can close.

I have a circuit board that can interpret signals received from switches that are supposed to be triggered with operator’s fingers pressing “up” or “down” on the.

At some point I got disappointed in the method that I was using to build this device: It all feels to uncomfortable.
So I decided that I need to cast my hand in silicone. I want the silicone mold to include hollow passages that would contain some fluid that would press on pressure sensors instead of switches:
tech-drowing-finger-glove.png

A circuit would convert those signals to useful input that would help decide if a finger was moved.
I want to cast my hand in silicone, while it is in a glove.
I believe that such device would be easier to custom manufacture in a household environment, considering that I have no access to any kind of shop and that I lost my job and can not pay for college any longer.

Should I continue using springs?

What modeling silicone should I use?

What cheap radio component can I use that would serve as a fast-acting pressure sensor?

Was there any research done on this subject?

I am welcome to any suggestions in this design process.
If you know any place I can get help building this device, I would really appreciate a reference.

Thank you.
Vladimir Tolskiy

-------------------
Dear Moderators, I am sorry for posting large images the first time.

Last edited:

Disclaimer: I'm no expert in what I've written below. I've only experimented with basic molds, and never molds of body parts.
Probably, you'd want to coat your hand with vaseline, and then cast your hand with medical plaster bandages (maybe plaster of paris or
an alternative) and then *very* carefully cut and remove it, and then coat the inside of the mold with mold release, and secure it back together
(e.g. a glue that you can later cut away) and then pour in wax or a resin. That would provide you with a copy of your hand.
You can then make the copy of your hand larger if needed, by painting on layers.
Then, you can safely experiment with creating a silicone mold of the copy of your hand.

I am not an expert either. I am not an anatomist. The reason I am doing this is because I think that keyboards were not updated since 19th century. I want to start writing.
Life is difficult. Nobody would give a hand in this project locally.

What would prevent me from making a mold off my hand directly? Does silicone heat up when it is poured?
Thank you.

It possibly does heat up, or might be toxic. I don't know. There are probably other ways too. My suggestion was based on safety - since there is a large body of evidence that plaster bandages are fine (since every nurse and hospital does it). You could also check with your local theatre, they are probably experienced in latex and silicone molds of body parts.

What is your opinion about the overall idea of using liquid and pressure sensors to see if fingers were moved?

It sounds feasible, but I've never tried it. You could also check out **broken link removed**. It's a material that changes resistance when compressed between two metal plates.

If I clean surgical tubing and surgical gloves from talcum powder, would silicone stick to them? I will place a glove over the cast of my hand mo smooth out the surface on the inside.

- - - Updated - - -

I feel like microphones serve as good pressure sensors, I would like to know what kind.

So what kind of cheap and finished-looking device can I use as an easy to interpret finger pressure sensor?
I dont want it to be a microswitch since it has to work through out the area of the whole finger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back