Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

altera global clock division

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbgil

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm trying to use the global clock setting of altera Max 7000s but it is too fast for my design. How do i slow it down? do i need to put a clock division program in my architecture? If so, can anybody help me? I'm modelling a project based on a 2 Hz clock system. Thanks in advance.

@ltera global clock division

what is an input frequency? and what is you desired frequency?

my input frequency is the global clock setting of Max 7000s (24.5 MHz). i tried using decoder to slow it down but i'm having problem on the vhdl architecture part coz its requires longer programming. my desired frequency is 2 - 5 Hz. thanks for any input.

maybe you can use clock setting to get your clock tree in quartus,at first you set an individual clock as a base clock, and then you generate the derived clock from the base clock,good luck

What was wrong to impliment simple counter?

i think u can use exterior clock generated by youself.i suggest y don't use dividor to u design.division maybe generate lots of question.

this is clock division i always use to obtain slower clk..

Code:
If you need a slower clock, here is a simple clock divider algorithm, that divides the clock by 2N.

Where :

N = F(crystal) / 2* F(desired)

-- file "clk_div.vhd"

-- a generic clock divider, divides by 2*N

-- adapted from "VHDLL Primer" by J. Bhasker, p. 295

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

library ieee; 
use ieee.std_logic_1164.all; 

entity clk_div is 
generic(N: positive:= 2); 
port 
(fast_clk, reset: in std_logic; 
slow_clk: buffer std_logic 
); 
end clk_div; 

architecture behavioural of clk_div is 
begin 
process(reset, fast_clk) 
variable count: natural; 
begin 
if reset = '1' then 
count := 0; 
slow_clk <= '0'; 
elsif rising_edge(fast_clk) then 
count := count + 1; 
if count = N then 
slow_clk <= not slow_clk; 
count := 0; 
end if; 
end if; 
end process; 
end behavioural;

preferably, use macros provided in quartus itself. it ll save a lot of resources.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back