Not open for further replies.

Adrian3

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I have created a MIF file containing 100 x 16bit values. The values point to a colour palette which contains the RGB values for 10 colours.

In Quartus Prime Lite I have used the IP Catalogue to create a ROM: 1-Port file

My top Verilog HDL file references the ROM file which when compiled / simulated on the FPGA development board should produce a 10 coloured stripped square (10 x 10 pixels) on the attached monitor. However, all I get is a blue square.

Could you please help me with where my code is going wrong. After I compile the design the total memory bits states 4 / 423,936 ( < 1 % ), which I believe is not right for the size of the data I am trying to place in the ROM memory.

I have attached the files for my design (in .txt format). Please ignore the 640x480 file name references, it should actually be 800x600

Attachments

• Pal.txt
    89 bytes · Views: 50
  • Spriterom.v.txt
    6.6 KB · Views: 48
  • VGA640x480.mif.txt
    2.4 KB · Views: 40
  • VGA640x480.v.txt
    2.6 KB · Views: 41

The spiterom module isn't referenced because variable address isn't driven in the design. Instead it must be connected to clk.
Accessing q as an array is also wrong. You get the memory value according to variable address back in variable q.

You'll notice that ROM value q is delayed relative to address.

The best way to check the operation of your design step-by-step is to use Modelsim.

Many, many thanks for the reply.

So my code;

Code dot - [expand]
//---------------
reg [6:0] address;
reg clock;
wire [15:0] q;

Spriterom u1(
    address,
    clock,
    q);

initial clock=0;[/B]
//--------------

Is this correct or should I be using "clk" instead of "clock".

During the

Code dot - [expand]
H_SCAN > HZSYNC+HBACK_PORCH 
and 
V_SCAN < VTSYNC+VBACK_PORCH+VACTIVE+1

is it possible to read the ROM during this period and output it via "red" , "green" and "blue".

I understand what you say about q. Would you be able to provide me with some code showing how to do it correctly please.

Last edited by a moderator:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…