Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Altera and Xilinx JTAG cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

gargamel_67

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'd like to know if Altera and Xilinx' JTAG cable are compatible?

I'd like to use an Altera JTAG cable to configure a Xilinx CPLD with Xilinx software. Is it possible?
Has anyone already done it ?

I have never tried @ltera cable on X*linx, but the task should be easy: Compare the documentation of the cables, and see if it fits.

Do not count on any compatibility due to software issues if the cable is anything but a plain passive (or with only simple drivers) serial or parallel port cable. USB version from @ltera propably wouldn't work.

@ltera has several different cables, so depending if you have MasterBlaster or BitBlaster or ByteBlaster, you might succeed.

See their web pages for documents about @ltera cables:

**broken link removed**

You got the link for X*linx cable earlier from drwho78 in this same forum...

I guess you might try to do a little homework with those data sheets, and see if the particular cable you plan to use is compatible with X*linx.

Good luck,

Ted

I have compared the Xilinx and @ltera parallel download cables awhile back. They are not interchangable. The parallel port pins used between the two cables are not the same. As for the other versions of download cables, they are definitely not interchangable

The two download cables are fairly simple to build. It should cost less than $20 in parts for the two cables.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back