Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Allegro - few questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

kazimi

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I've started to learn Allegro (16.3) few days ago. Before I began I looked through the Internet, but I couldn't find any decent tutorial. I was looking for a tutorial, which shows how to create simple board including library creation.
I found something like that:
**broken link removed**

But I am confused a little bit, if it is the right way of doing this... Please have a look at the symbols of resistors... Author of this tutorial doesn't use Design Entry CIS - I thought thats the proper tool for schematic.

In fact - what is the difference between Design Entry HDL and Design Entry CIS?

Can anybody tell me, how to create library using Design Entry CIS? I can create schematic part of the component using CIS (*.olb), footprint using PCB Design (*.dra), but I do not know how to map them...

So once again - does anybody posses any decent tutorial? I would be really, really thankful because it starts me driving crazy :D

Thanks&Regards,
kazimi

The only thing that is neede to map these two together is in the schematic symbol there is a property called PCB footprint, You put the footprint name into that field of the schematic symbol properties and when you create the netlist from CIS the footprint name will come through to allegro.

Reactions: kazimi

kazimi

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
So we always leave mapping to Allegro? I mean - Allegro does everything? So there is no tool to do mapping by myself? like in eagle for example?

When you create a PCB footprint, you assign a number to the pad you have created. So the pin number in your schematic symbol has to
match with the pad number in the footprint.

Last edited:

kazimi

Crevars is correct also, If you are using CIs for your schematic capture the pin numbers on the footprint must match the pin numbers in the schematic, otherwise you will have a problem when trying to get the netlist into allegro. Another small annoying thing in CIS is if you have multiple pins called the same name (e.g NC) they must be named NC1---? as another error occurs calling up duplicate pin names which for some reason CIS doesn't like. There may be a way around this but i don't know what that is.

kazimi

Can I make a layout in PCB editor directly without drawing any schematic and netlist files?

For my knowledge it is not possible.Layout file only represents schematic and net list files.

mira2830 - thanks a lot!!!! I think that is the solution for my problem :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back