Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Agilent E5052B vs. R&S FSUP26

Status
Not open for further replies.

0dBc

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everyone,

We are planning to buy a signal source analyzer to measure phase noise upto 20 GHz for lab usage. Agilent E5052B + E5053A combination seems to the most common solution. R&S FSUP26 is another solution. Can anybody recommend one over the other in terms of performance?

Thanks E-design. Here is Dr. Rohde's post from the thread link you provided:

This is a well known problem. Selection is a choice. Yes, to multiply it up several GHz is good if the analyzer is low noise .I use the R&S FSUP 8 with correlation and new enhanced dynamic range. If you are it that business such a phase noise system is a must. The Agilent is not so good below 10KHz, correction factor seems to be off, but better above 1MHz offset. Nice to have both

What is your requirement in phase noise ? Wenzel is the world leader (many $$$$) and I am trying to become less dependent of the crystal phenomena as you experience it . Please wait until my feedback circuit will be uploaded later.

He also has a paper (which I found after starting this thread) that compares different phase noise measurement systems in April issue of the MWJ:
**broken link removed**

A signal source analyzer is a very expensive investment and it will pay to research this in depth before making any purchase. Maybe you can try and get a demo instrument from both companies to compare performance.

Reactions: 0dBc

0dBc

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
You are absolutely right. Agilent E5052B + E5053A system is above 150k USD. I don't know the price of FSUP26 since there is no pricing information available on R&S's website. I am guessing it would be cheaper than the Agilent's system since it is single box instrument (doesn't require an external microwave downconverter like Agilent does). So as far as the price is concerned, FSUP26 would be the choice. But I am having doubts about its performance. That is why I started this thread. I find the R&S's datasheets to be a lot more polished than Agilent ones.

A signal source analyzer is a very expensive investment and it will pay to research this in depth before making any purchase. Maybe you can try and get a demo instrument from both companies to compare performance.

it depends on your desired phase noise floor. You can get the previous version of the agilent phase noise test set for a fraction of $150K. It may not have the latest cross correlation software though

I work for a gov research lab. Due to some regulations we have to buy all of our equipment brand new.

it depends on your desired phase noise floor. You can get the previous version of the agilent phase noise test set for a fraction of $150K. It may not have the latest cross correlation software though

This is correct, not always do you need -185dBc/Hz at 100 Mhz , at 10 Ghz the noise floor of - 136 dBc/Hz at 10 KHz offset , or -172 dBc/Hz at 1 MHz.
But this needs cross correlation.

Ulrich Rohde

I work for a gov research lab. Due to some regulations we have to buy all of our equipment brand new.

There are some other vendors like NoiseXT , Symmetricom, or Anapico that sell equivalent systems at lower cost. Maybe worth checking....

V

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back