Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Advice on Antenna theory and design

Status
Not open for further replies.

electronicengr

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi

I have taken a very rudimentary course on antenna theory, now i am interested in further deepening my knowledge. I have bought myself Balanis's book on antenna theory, I need some guidance regarding what chapters should i study as it is quite a large book.

Secondly, after i have got enough of theory i would like to design antennas using HFSS (possibly patch antennas), now my question is, what is the next step after getting the 3D rad pattern, vswr, impedance etc in HFSS and fabricating the antenna?? How to test the antenna physically?? Will i have to construct a transmitter and receiver for the antenna???? What is the standard practice to test the antenna in the academia?

I need some guidance regarding what chapters should i study as it is quite a large book

Re: Balanis I would read the first few chapters and try to understand as much as possible; then focus on those chapters which relate to the type of antenna you want to work with. There's discussions about antenna measurements too.

How to test the antenna physically

Once you have modelled an antenna (e.g. via HFSS) you would make a prototype, so for a patch you could get some Duroid 5880 material and etch it (or cut it by hand with a scalpel - not too hard). Get a length of e.g. RG316 as the feed, or an SMA or something. Then use a vector network analyser to measure the match (return loss, S11 i.e. how close to 50+j0 ohms is the input impedance).

If it's working at the correct frequency and the match bandwidth (typically the VSWR=2 limits) is adequate then you'd need to measure the gain and radiation pattern on an antenna test range, or a tapered chamber or an anechoic chamber. So you'd need to be greater than (say) (4D^2)/lambda away - 2D^2/lambda as a minimum, where D is the largest dimension of the antenna - and then feed a CW signal into the antenna at the design frequency and receive on a distant antenna whose frequency = the AUT's frequency (Antenna Under Test). Record the received power as a function f azimuth angle and then elevation angle.

You can all your problem in design antenna here in this articles.
**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back