Advice needed please? (power inverter + battery charger loop)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaiiboy

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I found this group whilst searching for an answer to a question I have. Please can anyone explain if this will work please?
Can you put a 12v battery onto an inverter and put a battery charger from the same inverter so it loops and provides a continuous charge. I live on a narrowboat and pondering the question. Thanks Sharron

A costly method to discharge the battery. Consider that inverter and charger have both an efficiency smaller than 1.00.

I did try it once for the fun of it. Battery > inverter > charger > battery. And it worked. It was fascinating to watch.

Of course I realized the battery was draining gradually since it's the sole source of power in a closed system that's not 100 percent efficient.

Hi,

You have some energy in the battery.
Feed it through an inverter .... and you get less electrical energy out than you put in.
Then feed it through a charger .... and get even less out than you put in.
Then charge a battery with this energy ... and the battery will give you less energy back than the charger did put into the battery.

Sadly it gets less and less.
There is no system that is able to produce more energy than you input.

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.