Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ADS Balun simulation question

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmosbjt

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
ads balun

Hi, when simulating a 50 Ohm impedance balun. Which setup is right?

The next question is, what is the impedance looking into one of the balance ports? I guess it should be 50/2 for differential signal, am I right?

If I am right, then if I design 2 identical circuit blocks connecting to the 2 balance ports of the balun, for matching, should each of the circuit blocks have a 25 Ohm input impedance ?

Thanks

balun simulation

the 1st setup is ok , specially the balun is 50 ohm balanced output

khouly

balun ads

All the three configurations are correct. It defers from the output load impedance only. the important thing is both setup 1 and 3 are identical in all aspects like impedance phase char etc. Setup 3 aloows you to simulate for phase and gain imbalances if any.

If you need further clarification please PM.

cmosbjt

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
simulating balun

I guess I can answer my own question now:

Both setup 1 and 3 are correct. Setup 1 test the differential s-param at the balance ports. and setup 3 test the single-ended s-param. Result from setup 3 can be converted to the mixed-mode s-param by some equations.

balun, advanced design system

Yes you are right,
Also setup 2 is one form of transformer which is referenced to GND. It is no more called as Balun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back