Not open for further replies.

Dmitrii

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi!

I'm designing an input matching network for GaN transistor. I calculated and simulated it in ADS using transmission line theory and S-parameters block. After, I generated layout and want to tune it using EM co-simulation at the fixed frequency 2 GHz. I set length of the MLin L1 in schematic and layout as a parameter. Also, I set "Parameterized sub network Pcell" type for both generated and emCosim layouts. In the new schematic cell I inserted the emCosim model with emCosim view. Now, I try to make parameter sweep for the emCosim model. The problem is that ADS calculates the same results for swept parameter. For example, I defined three points L1=10mm, 20mm and 30mm. After starting the simulation, the EM analysis is called three times and generates three identical data set. I suspect that all these data are calculated for default L1 value.

Is it possible to make correct sweep in co-simulation mode?

Attachments

• Schemtic.png
    21.6 KB · Views: 341
  • Layout.png
    91.8 KB · Views: 190
  • schematic_sweep.png
    22.7 KB · Views: 191
  • Results.png
    13.9 KB · Views: 183
  • Test_wrk.zip
    123.5 KB · Views: 82

It should work if you change the layout cell from "Use This Layout” to “Parametric” in the File > Customize Pcell dialog.
Strange enough that they made this the default, because many users run into the same problem with parameters that do nothing.

Have a look at the section with the red warning comment (about middle of the page) in my Parameterized EM appnote:
https://muehlhaus.com/support/ads-application-notes/em-parameters-momentum

Reactions: Dmitrii

Dmitrii

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thanks for reply, but it does not work for me. I use ADS 2017 and there I set the "Parameterized sub network Pcell" in Customize Pcell dialog, but it didn't help me. Also you use EM simulation/Model in your appnote, but I use EM Cosimulation mode in EMsetup. I suspect that the parameter L1 was not transfered to EM simulator or not assigned to Layout component. I attached workspace, please look at it.

- - - Updated - - -

I use this:

Attachments

• EMSetup.jpg
    456.7 KB · Views: 188

You haven't attached your workspace, but you can test yourself: open a new layout and place two instances of your subcircuit layout. Assign different parameter values and check if the subcircuit instance scales properly.

Reactions: Dmitrii

Dmitrii

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
I figured out the problem!!!

It was necessary to select "Include all parameters except these:". The sweep turned out to be correct!

Thanks for help!

Attachments

• EMSetup_Cosim.jpg
    451.5 KB · Views: 217

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…