Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ADE7753 with PIC layout

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swys

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
ade7753

Hi all,

I have abandoned my quest to build an energy meter completely from scratch since I've found out that you get such nice energy meter IC's such as the ADE7753.

I now want to interface with this device with a PIC18F452 (primarily because this is the model I have lying around). I have one question...for now:

I am going to read the current with a CT and the voltage with a voltage divider. When I look on the datasheet (specifically figure 30) I see that they indicate that the ground of the voltage divider is the same ground of the line voltage. In other words it is the neutral line. As a matter of fact, it seems to me as if the ground of the whole device (digital and analog part) is connected to neutral. Iwould like to power this project with a seperate power source (regulated with an LM7805 regulator), but does this then mean that the negative of my battery, the ground of the regulator and microcontroller, etc. should be connected to neutral?

Thanks in advance for your help

ade7753 example

If I'm not wrong, you mean by the voltage divider of PIN 7.It appears to me, by looking at PIN 11, it's a digital ground. I haven't read anything about this IC, I just looked at the Figure 30 of the ADE7753 Datasheet. This IC has sepearate analog and digital ground. You might be confusing a little bit. You can eventually add analog ground and digital ground at a point in the PCB layout, but it doesn't mean you need to connect the neutral with GND of 7805 regulator.

analog ground symbol

Thanks for your answer!

Yes, I mean the voltage divider on pin 7. The one thing confusing me, is that (if you look at pin 7), the power supply (line voltage) is then also connected to digital ground. Can it be that they mean it should be neutral?

If I connect the analog (neutral) and digital grounds on the PCB layout, doesn't that mean (in effect) that the regulator, battery, micro, etc. is then connected to neutral?

microcontroller ade7753

To explain you, I have given an example of ADC IC. In my diagram, the symbol is given wrong for analog ground. It's the symbol for Earth, but I have seen people using analog ground symbol,digital ground symbol and earth symbol using interchangeably.

Generally speaking, there is no difference between a digital ground and analog ground, both are the same. For your case, both will be connected to the regulator GND. So the question arises, if digital ground and analog ground are the same? So why people refer to them seperately. The answer lies in the layout of the PCB. In order to reduce noise, people seperates the GND in the PCB and reconnects the GND near the regulator(if using).Suppose you have a digital IC that's switching at 1Mhz, and a MIC. It's not good idea to connect the MIC GND with that IC GND. So, they name them as GND1=Digital Ground, GND2=Analog Ground. GND1=Uses high speed digitial circuitry(for example), GND2=Using low speed circuit(for example). More over it depends on the application.You will try to keep the power supply seperate for digital and analog circuitry, so as to reduce undesired results.

Neutral is entirely different from the analog ground. You can although connect digital ground,analog ground,neutral together, but you have to be very careful when doing so. Normally it's not done so. There's a technique in doing so. They cannot be connected together. What if the next time, you plug in to the wall recepticle with neutral and phase interchange. Your circuit would be BOOMED! I have seen few designers in which people using isolation transformer, in the first stage and so on...... I would not go into the detail of this, it's a seperate topic.

The word neutral is not used when refering to the GND of analog and digital supplies.It's used when we are referring to the AC Main Incoming power. Mine is 415V, 3 phase, Y connected with neutral, per phase 240V. Neutral is the name of the additional wiring coming from your electric company transformer near to your home.You electric company transformer will usually be fed with a delta wiring.It would be delta-Y transformer.

Re: microcontroller ade7753

Hi!

I have somewhat the same project as you. I am using ADE7753 and PIC16f877a. My system board of the ADE7753 has a common ground. All the grounds are connected with the neutral line. It is working just fine as long as you power up the ic first before you input the voltage from the mains.

May i know what the meaning of CT to read the current?

I have a big doubt ,please help me.I am using ADE7753 Energy meter IC for my project.The problem is do we need to program the IC by manually with ADE7753 evaluation board or is it already programmed and we need to connect in to this PIC and get the output??

Status
Not open for further replies.