Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Address of value pointed to by pointer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pheetuz

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi Folks,

I have a pointer that has been returned to me via a malloc function on my PIC microcontroller, what I need to do is take the address of this pointer and store it as an INT such that I can place it in the FSR0L:FSR0H pair so that I can then use these registers for copying the stack, I am however having some difficulty doing this as I cannot seem to get the address of the variable pointed to by the pointer as a numerical value.

I have tried things such as:

UCHAR * stkPtr = NULL;
UINT stkAdd = 0;

void main (void){

malloc(stkPtr);

stkAdd = stkPtr;

}

or

void main (void){

malloc(stkPtr);

stkAdd = &(*stkPtr);

}

but to no avail, I know I am overlooking something stupid and would greatly appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction.

Cheers,

Pheetuz

Hi,

The prototype of malloc() is:

void * malloc ( size_t size );

so you should use it like this:

stkPtr = malloc(number_of_bytes_required);

and if you want the address, it would be correct to declare stkAdd as a pointer of the needed type, that can be initialized like this:

UCHAR * stkPtr;
UCHAR * * stkAdd = &stkPtr;

Otherwise, declaring stkAdd as UINT you should use:
stkAdd = (UINT)&stkPtr;

nevertheless, maybe what you need is not exactly what you describe.
Regards

Z

Thanks zorro,

You were right about the malloc prototype apart from it is my own malloc function so it was slightly different but still I now have the numeric value of the address of the pointer, I was not casting the pointer and thats what the problem was... I really need to look into casting pointers as its something I have not really done a lot of.

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.