Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] ADC Using Differential Inputs

Status
Not open for further replies.

skywalker898

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I am trying to sample the single ended output of an opamp (AD820) with an ADC that has differential inputs (AD7731). I'm wondering if I can simply ground one of the differential inputs on the ADC and attach the other input to the single ended output of the opamp. Does anybody know of any issues with doing this?

Thanks,
skywalker898

No, you can't do that because the common-mode input range only goes down to 1.2V ABOVE ground. Why not use a different ADC if you've got single-ended signals?

Thanks, I'm new to working with ADC's so I'm trying to get up to speed with the typical specifications that are stated in the datasheet. I would use a different ADC, but I'm having a surprising amount of difficulty finding a singled-ended ADC that has between 16 and 24 bits of resolution. I'll probably start a new thread with my circuit design and see if anyone has any suggestions about how to properly sample the data.

There are lots and lots of ADCs that meet your requirements (depending on speed) Look at Texas Instruments and Analog Devices for starters

I've tried looking again but I am not able to find a part that meets my requirements. My requirements right now are:

-18 to 24 bit
-single ended input
-SPI interface
-at least 1kSPS
-DIP package

Do you know of any parts that meet these requirements? Or, do you know how to use differential inputs on the AD7731 (or in general) to measure a single-ended output from a simple current to voltage converter (an opamp attached to a photodiode)? You made a good point about not grounding one of the differential inputs, but there must be a way to use them with a single ended output of an opamp.

Thanks again for all the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.