Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ADC bit calculation method

Status
Not open for further replies.

dipnirvana

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi i have very basic question t put forward ,

Let say u want to measure a battery voltage which is 2.5 V with 1% error . The minimum voltage that battery can go is 0.1V.

Now one way of calculating the no of bit required is 2.5/0.1 that is dynamic range is 25 . So, my ADC is bit requirement is 5bit (32 steps). Or should it be by other method , that is minimum voltage to measure is 1% of 0.1V that is 0.001V . Now the dynamic range is 2.5/0.001=2500 that is requirement of 14 bit.

So two requirement is very different ..which one is correct?

14 bit is correct, if you actualy need to measure 0.1 V with 1% accuracy, which sounds unreasonable. I guess that 1% of 2.5 V, which converts to +/- 25 mV absolute resolution would be sufficient. This means 7 bit resolution.

Don't take values i put forward to real world values . i just took it illustrate the confusion . Actually the confusion there as some application note says that u only take DC error into the account and hence first method where as some app note talk about 2nd method .

If i think more let 's if a ADC input pin has 2.5V why would that ADC need a 7 bit to get to the 1% if gain error + quantization error is less than 1% .

Status
Not open for further replies.