Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Active Serial JTAG debugging in Cyclone II

Status
Not open for further replies.

zermelo

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I have a PCB with a single JTAG header connected to an EPCS4 device. In that same PCB, there is a Cyclone II EP2C8T144C8N that I can program using Active Serial mode through the flash.

When I select JTAG in the programmer there is no device found. When I do the same in Signal Tap there is no device found.

In another post someone commented that I might be able to debug using a method called "indirect programming". That should happen via the flash. I have not been able to find any Altera documentation on how to use Signal Tap with this method.

Could you please provide references?

Jose

You are still misunderstanding the suggestions in the other thread. https://www.edaboard.com/threads/322369/

They have been talking about a way to program the serial flash through JTAG. A working JTAG connection to the FPGA is required for indirect JTAG programming as well as debugging.

You have reported that the "JTAG header" is connected to the EPCS device. It can't be connected to the FPGA JTAG pins at the same time and isn't suitable for debugging. That's the whole story.

You are still misunderstanding the suggestions in the other thread. https://www.edaboard.com/threads/322369/

They have been talking about a way to program the serial flash through JTAG. A working JTAG connection to the FPGA is required for indirect JTAG programming as well as debugging.

You have reported that the "JTAG header" is connected to the EPCS device. It can't be connected to the FPGA JTAG pins at the same time and isn't suitable for debugging. That's the whole story.

I might have read too fast the last part of the other thread. Thanks for the reminder. That's why I am asking. It is easy to understand that you cannot use a JTAG that is not connected to the FPGA:)

Jose

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back