Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

AC-DC power converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buzaina Moossa

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I am involved in an SMPS design.
I am looking for a suitable platform which can provide a good solution.

Vin=230-265 V
Vout=12V
Iout=1A.
I am trying to develop using a flyback topology.
When I searched for suitable ICs,most of them had input voltage rating of below 80-90 V .Why is this so?
How can we use them for suitable power conversion,like in my case.

Are there ICs with this high input voltage possible?

Could anyone help me out?

Thanks and Regards
Buzaina

When I searched for suitable ICs,most of them had input voltage rating of below 80-90 V.
80-90 V sounds rather unusual. Most ICs are either low voltage (e.g. up to 30 - 40 V) or accept full primary DC bus voltage.

It's not clear if you are talking about switchmode controllers or switchmode ICs with integrated powerswitch.

There's a number of integrated switcher ICs, e.g. from powerint.com that's are well suited for 12 W flyback converter with low part count.

Many industry standard off-mains switchers are using standard controller ICs, e.g. UC3842 with an external power switch. The IC supply voltage is initially supplied by a resistor and maintained by an auxilary flyback winding in operation.

Yes the power integrations website has all you need to make this design a reality.

Why not use a TinySwitchII IC? In an open frame they will handle the power 12V@1A you desire and I think the newer(higher power) ones will handle that power in an enclosed case(ie: wall adapter like a cell-phone charger). They are very simple to use, will handle the full power from the mains, and I've had great success with them.

Datasheet for the ones I have: https://elektrotanya.com/files/forum/2012/07/TNY268P.pdf

As I said, the newer ones have a different pin-out but will handle more power.

Datasheet for the newer models: **broken link removed**

V

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hi,
Thank you all.I have started my study on powerint...

Status
Not open for further replies.