Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] About Xport configurable pins.. Please help :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavithra89

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all
I m doing a project involving Xport basically its a Ethernet interface. I wanted to know what does configurable pins CP1,CP2 and CP3 do and how is it different from data_out and data_in pin on Xport.. I was asked to serially send data to a Ethernet interface card through a CPLD connected to Xport which sends the data back to PC through Ethernet. I'm done with this. I used data_in pin of Xport to receive the data back to the PC. But my question is Can I use one of those configurable pins for the same reason i.e., to receive the data back to PC. Please help me as soon as possible

P.S. I have all those Xport User guide which says about what they do but I'm not able to understand what is it doing exactly. :(

Regards

I think the available GPIO funcionality is clearly described in user manual.

- They can be configured as RS232 handshake or control/status signals CTS, RTS, DTR or DCD.
- They can be used as binary in- or outputs, read and written through the network

The transmission speed won't allow to transmit serial data but it can read switches or control LEDs or relays.

The CP1, CP2 and CP3 can either be configured as hardware flow control in conjunction with the serial data_in and data_out or they can be configured as GPIO much like that of a microcontroller.

Reference: , Section: 9. GPIO Interface, Page: 70
The XPort has three pins (CP1-3) that you can configure for General Purpose I/O(GPIO).

Note:
You can also configure the pins for serial port control lines, such as
hardware control, modem control (CTS, RTS, DTR, and DCD), and
diagnostic outputs to LED, using DeviceInstaller.

You can use these GPIO pins to control devices such as relays, servers, lights,
monitor switches, sensors, and even processes such as data transfer.
You can set the functions for the three pins independently and in any combination.
The initial directions (input/output) and active levels (active low or high) at boot up
can also be configured through 77FE, for example, by using DeviceInstaller.
This chapter describes how the directions, active levels, and states can be
dynamically controlled and probed through special port 77F0.

The configurable pins default configuration is:
Function: General Purpose Input
Active Level: Active Low

Every change of state (active/inactive) requires a command over TCP or UDP, and
thus is not very fast. If you use this port for data transfer, the throughput is low,
usually up to 1Kbps.

As indicated by the XPort User Manual, the throughput of the CP1-3 configured as GPIO is rather slow at about 1Kbps.

They are typically used to control relays, LEDs or accept input from switches, etc.

BigDog

Hi Thank you all for ur reply. It was actually very helpful. I tried sending data through CP1 pin but I didn't get it back to PC.
Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.