Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

about twin-t filter parameter calculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

lhlblue

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
below is the schematic of twin-t filter, and the transfer function of it. in actual design, it can also be used for bandpass filter if connected between negative input and output of opamp. now, the twin-t network is a three order system, so, how to get the expression of center frequency f0 and quality factor Q? for two order system, we use 's^2+(2*pi*f0/Q)*s+(2*pi*f0)^2' to calculate f0 and Q, but for the three order system, how to calculate the parameter f0 and Q?
thanks all.
twin-t.JPG

twin-t-2.JPG

Assuming R1 = R2 = R, R3 = R/2, C2 = C3 = C, and C1 = 2*C,
then F0 = 1 / (2*pi*R*C)

My gut feel is that Q can't be easily be calculated (for a twin-t + opamp bandpass filter) as it depends entirely on the accuracy of the component values.

You could guarantee a certain minimum Q by using sufficiently close-tolerance components, but without measurement you wouldn't know how much better than the minimum it actually is.

Similarly, you could deliberately degrade the Q by mismatching components.

- - - Updated - - -

On the other hand, it's not totally unpredictable. According to Horowitz&Hill:

...a twin-T driven by a perfect voltage source is down 10dB at twice (or half) the notch frequency and 3dB at four times (or one-fourth) the notch frequency.

What component accuracy determines is the depth of the notch (and the response close to the notch frequency).

Last edited:

Hi Ihlblue,

The twin-T network is used as band stop (notch) filter for a particular selection of component values.
You get an ideal notch (neglecting tolerances) for
C1=C2+C3 and R3=R1||R2.

In this case you arrive at a second-order transfer function due to pole-zero cancellation.
Thus, you can apply the classical procedure to find the pole frequency and the pole Q.

ok, i know. but if the relationship C1=C2+C3 and R3=R1||R2 is not satisfied (there is mismatch), such as R1=R2=2*R3 and C2=C3=a*C1(a is not 1/2), so, how to get the expression of f0 and Q? or is there some simple expression here?
besides,
Similarly, you could deliberately degrade the Q by mismatching components.
, but what is the detailed relationship between Q degradation and mismatch (some examples?)?
thanks.

OK - here is a formula for the Q value (derived from G.S. Moschytz: Linear integrated networks):

Q=N/D
N=a(1-b)(1-c)
D=a^2(1-c)+(1-b)

with:
a=SQRT[RsCs/R3Cp] with Rs=R1+R2, Rp=R1||R2, Cp=C1+C2, Cs=C1C2/(C1+C2)
b=C2/(C1+C2)
c=R1/(R1+R2)

For ideal matched condition the Q value should be 0.5 (maximum value).
Good luck.

but what is the detailed relationship between Q degradation and mismatch (some examples?)?
Unless someone has already solved the problem, you can't seriously expect others do the calculation for you, I think.

Strictly speaking, Q is a parameter of the second order system and undefined for third order. Calculating parameter sensitivity of the ideal filter makes sense however. I'm sure, it can be derived analytically, but I also guess you won't want to do the calculation. Everybody is calculating sensitivities by numerical methods these days. You can do with a spread sheet calculator, by stepping parameters in a basic SPICE simulation, or using a tool like PSpice advanced analysis that does the calculation for you automatically.

Ihlblue,

with regard to FvM`s contribution (Q value) perhaps it is good to give the following explanation:
The Q expression in my last post is defined as the ratio center frequency-to-3dB bandwidth B.
B is the bandwidth measured for 3 dB attenuation.

LvW, as you said,
Q=N/D
N=a(1-b)(1-c)
D=a^2(1-c)+(1-b)

if C1=C2=2*C3(C1 and C3 inter-changed in my posted schematic), R1=R2=0.5*R3, then, a=1, b=c=0.5, so, Q=0.25, not 0.5.
besides, the Q expression does not include C3, but in my simulation, Q can be influenced by C3. am i wrong?
thanks.

if C1=C2=2*C3(C1 and C3 inter-changed in my posted schematic), R1=R2=0.5*R3, then, a=1, b=c=0.5, so, Q=0.25, not 0.5.
besides, the Q expression does not include C3, but in my simulation, Q can be influenced by C3. am i wrong?
thanks.

You are right. That means:
*Q=0.25 is correct.
*C3=C1+C2 (always).

Explanation: This restricting condition for C3 is called by the author: "potentially symmetric".
That`s all I can say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back