Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

About the radius of BEGIN LAYER and SOLDER-MASK_TOP in cadence pad editor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hilbertstrauss

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I wanted to create the pad file for a thru-hole pin using pad editor. The hole has a 1mm radius. I set BEGIN LAYER to 2mm.
Is BEGIN LAYER the copper layer adjacent to the hole on the top side of the PCB? And if I set its radius to 2mm would this mean the copper pad ring will have a thickness of 1 mm (assuming, hypothetically, 0 mm tolerance)?
1604958860078.png

What also confuses me is how the assignment of the radius of SOLDERMASK_TOP layer works. If for example I set it to 2.2 mm would this mean I will have a ring of solder mask between a radius of 2mm and a radius of 2.2mm? But I thought the solder mask was supposed to cover copper surfaces, I'm trully confused about how I should set its radius and what it would actually mean.
1604959324175.png

Your help would be much appreciated!

What do you mean with "thickness"?

Solder mask artwork is negative, the solder mask pad defines the opening. With usual non-solder-mask-defined pad, the solder mask pad is oversized by 0.1 to 0.2 mm.

By thickness i mean the distance between the inner length between the two radii (the value of the radius chosen for begin layer and the value of the radius chosen for drill). This is how I see it in my head
1604963532246.png

Is this representation accurate?

All values in the padstack editor table are diameters not radii.

Annular ring width is defined implicitly as half the difference between pad and drill diameter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back