Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

a problem in design counter circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

wael_moharam

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
plz i need help , i made counter circuit use 4520 but there is a problem ,the circuit count random , why ? i dont know ,there is the first time i make counter circuit , i use 555 as clock because i need clock has various duty cycle .

Generally counters use a trigger circuit at the input, to eliminate the uncertainty between input noise and signal input. Is possible the threshold level of this trigger to be too low.

Hi,

If you post your circuit diagram and code then perhaps we can see what you have got before we can suggest what is causing the probelm.

i notice that the instability in circuit is happend when i conncet power supply to circuit so the start point of count is random, although i use a capacitor bt ground and vcc . can i use 4538 to make delay until the circuit be stable (so i prevent it from count as soon as the power is applied ).i can do it by make anding gate bt 4538 &clock
or there is another solution . plz can you help me.

You need a power up reset circuitry to the reset pins 7 and 15. This will ensure it starts from count zero each time you power it up. It also puts a delay before the counting starts. You could use a simple 10uF/ 100K combination.

Hi wael_moharam,

You MUST HAVE , generally, ALL INPUTS in "CMOS-World" at fixed potentials (on GND or VDD_ direct or with for ex. min. 50/100KOhm if you must overlist its level)_THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT, then you dont have controlled logic levels on their with time...
If it counts around 0`clock; I think RST can be fix at GND too.
CMOS circuits are very high Ohmic-Input systems/ICs = it has light some charge at a free Input (it will take some potential between 0 & Supply & it changes too...); you can long time search for reason of so a randomly variing situation...

Your CD/MM4520 is a good, but ca. 45 years old technik_for new designs you shuold take 74 ACxxx circuits or minimum 74AC/4520 (if it exist)...
Of course, if you have found it on your table_ than is clear:).
K.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back