Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

A couple of questions regarding design of a power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

gambit19

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi,

I have to build a regulated power however i am quite confused with the specs requisition and was hoping that someone could help me. these are the specs

D.C. Output is 10 V
Load Variation is 0.3 – 9000ohms
Ripple Factor has to be Less than 0.1% for 1900ohms load
Load Regulation has to be better than 4 mV for a 1 mA change in load current
Line Regulation has to be better than 4 mV for a 1V change in line voltage

the line and regulations are what are getting me i am quite confused, can anyone help explain this better to me,confused on how to implement it

DC output is self explanatory.
Load variation is telling you it must be capable of supplying 10V into 0.3 Ohms up to 9K Ohms, in other words it has to supply at least (I=V/R) 10/0.3 = 33.3 Amps.
Ripple has to be less than 0.1% of the total voltage with a load of 10V/1900 Ohms = 5.26mA
Load regulation means the output voltage shouldn't change by more than 4mV when the current you draw from it changes by 1mA. (normally this would be specified at a known initial load current)
Line regulation means the output voltage shouldn't change by more than 4mV when the incoming supply voltage (before the regulation) changes by 1V.

I am a little suspicious of the 0.3 Ohm lower load resistance, the other parameters are specified at much lower current, are you sure you have that figure correct?

Brian.

im sorry its supposed to be 300 and not 0.3 and thanks for explaining those for me. How would i calculate rs? rl is for me to choose between 300 and 9000 correct? that also is getting me, the rest i pretty much understand

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.