Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Battery RunTime Estimation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bukitoo

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi!!!!

To complete my project I need to implement a software/hardware module that could estimate the battery remaining run time. I need this for 2 different chemistries: Lithium and Alkaline.

I 've tried to develop some "generic" way by measuring the battery voltage periodically but I still have problems to have a stable prediction. I red lots of papers to try to understand battery behaviors and all that.

Did you develop some algorithm similiar as I mentioned ?
Do you have any tip / suggestion ?

THanks in advance

HI

See Maxim application note on battery gauge - they describe the algorithm involved

BR

Bobi

Hi!
Thanks! I was looking for other terms than "gas gauge" and now I have the correct term to look for.
Thanks Again

Hi!
I've discovered that exists many ICs that do the job with a 1% of error estimation.
However in my application buying that chips is not a solution since I just need a rought estimation and I should implement the algorithm just by measuring the battery voltage periodically.
I 've red this paper : www.cs.ucsb.edu/~ckrintz/papers/lncs04.pdf
And I think I will use the principle it propose. I will thell you my results.

If you have more suggetions, they are welcome.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.