Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Has anybody suggestions about PME-51?

**broken link removed**
Regards

Re: 8051 512Kb external linear nonsegmented flash program me

As Eric said is not very useful. Well, if not very useful, maybe at least useful.

Why 512K and not 128K or 1024K.
Just easy, because it happens to have three bits available for playing with, inside AJMP and ACALL opcodes.
If four bits would be available (4K range), then definitely 512K from article would become 1024K.
It's what I call a fortune or/and a fact that some peoples (i.e. Martin) has a much deeper observation than others.
As long as Martin didn't claimed any exclusive rights in using this idea I don't understand reader responses.
It's true that MArtin choose a not suitable page banking approach and emphasized shortcoming of bank switching article example (43% memory waste; every serious 8051 user knows that's cannot be true).
However this is not a serious reason to make fun and say "once more we have an article - see how brilliant I am - not here is something useful"
It happens to be a Dallas 390 fun accepting all penalties of using 24-bit PC in contiguous mode.

If Martin takes into account the flows across 64K boundary, conditional relative jump, calling and return from subroutine and ISR, I wonder why didn't mentioned what probably needs to be outlined.

If PME-51 blocks the AJMP opcode and outputs instead an LJMP opcode (0x02) onto the 8051 data bus, then it means AJMP opcode isn't used anymore.
Blocking the AJMP opcode defeats his purpose : a small size memory code for routines that resides in 2K code, as well as faster fetching.
Why using a LJMP followed by 2-bytes of address for a jump inside 2K range ?
wouldn't be more suitable an AJMP opcode followed by 1 single byte ?
You can say what's the big deal 1 byte. I know, I know, you can't use too many AJMP and/or ACALL opcodes in your code.

Only my opinion.

Pont de Pedra said:
Has anybody suggestions about PME-51?

Suggestions ? If you can implement it, use it. Can't be a bad ideea.

Status
Not open for further replies.