Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

8 bits or SPI interface Ethernet modules for the 8051 projects

Status
Not open for further replies.

dxpwny

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
8 bit or SPI interface Ethernet modules for 8051 project

I'm starting to look at Ethernet modules that allow quick integration of Ethernet capabilities to microcontroller projects.

I would prefer a module with an 8 bit interface, but searching on Ebay/Wiznet.io suggests that parallel interface modules may have been "end of life'd" - in favor of an SPI interface. I should say I see no point (for my projects) to use a RS232 to Ethernet module.

I'm an Embedded Software Developer, and would prefer to find an existing 8051 library I could make use of. My projects that I imagine using such modules with are very application specific sensor projects that would basically collect data and transmit it to a PC. So hopefully the fact that the micro (A Silicon Labs C8051F340) has only 64 KB code space, I'll be able to accomplish my goal.

I'm curious if anyone has any experience with such modules ? With 8051 driver libraries ?

Thanks

Re: 8 bit or SPI interface Ethernet modules for 8051 project

Hi,

what confuses me:
You talk about several interfaces:
* parallel
* SPI
* RS232

Which one are you looking for? (I think all are available)

Klaus

Hello Klaus,

I stated I would prefer a module with an 8 bit (parallel) interface. I also said I see no point to use a RS232 to Ethernet module (meaning I do not want to use this).

I mentioned SPI only in the sense that it was my impression that SPI is now the favored interface. I got the impression that parallel interface modules may not be being updated, with firmware / hardware fixes, and that I might need to settle for an SPI interface.

So messy. Let's briefly review the options:
1. Use AT-command interface over UART with ESP8266 modules (most stupid solution to drive ARM-based MCU from toy-oriented found in grandmother's shelf 8051). You will have TCP/UDP connection over wifi (simplest solution)
2. Use PHY to SPI bridge with ENC28J60 from Microchip. 10 Mbit only, half duplex, will require MAC, IP and TCP/UDP layer as well. Can be used as the part of FreeRTOS_Plus_TCP application based on FreeRTOS os. But your mcu will limit this option and you will have to write MAC->IP->TCP/UDP by yourself (I did that a month ago)
3. Stop calling yourself embedded engineer. We a not relative to platform persons. We can abopt any sw to any hw. It is the power of C. (god save the embedded C)

I think that response sounds a bit odd.

Status
Not open for further replies.