Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

global system for mobile communication

Status
Not open for further replies.

ragabs

Full Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
gprs vs gsm

dear all
can u help me to understand the differences between gsm and gprs.

i have to select one of them to remotly transmitt data from client to server.

thanx in advance

Re: gprs vs gsm

GPRS is the enhancement of GSM for packet data transfer. Compared to GSM
with circuit switched connections and fixed data transfer rates, GPRS offers
flexibility: high data transfer rates if there are few users and low rates if there are
many users. And in addition billing in GPRS is based on the amount of data
transferred (Kbytes, or MBytes), not on the time of channel usage as in GSM. This
is ideal for WEB surfing. So for GPRS, the transfer bit rate will depend on network
load at the exact moment of transfer. For GSM the transfer rate is constant.

ask ur service provider (operator) for the selection...

regards

ragabs said:
dear all
can u help me to understand the differences between gsm and gprs.

i have to select one of them to remotly transmitt data from client to server.

thanx in advance
If you want to transmit data from client to server, you'd better chosing GPRS as GPRS is for transporting data over GSM line.

hi,
now most operators are already deploying EDGE (enhanced data rate for global evolution). EDGE evolved from GPRS technology. the main difference between them is that of the modulation/coding scheme. theoretically, the data rate in EDGE is three times greater than GPRS.
EDGE is now implemented in MMS, Video CALL, WAP.

gprs vs gsm

The best choice is GPRS of course.....but it depends on your application and enviroment.......i.e If the client is around the server WiFi is the best solution ( higher data rate ) ...... but If your client is widely far away from your server then you should go to GPRS ( you have to make sure all your client have an GPRS modem), If your application is just SMS messages GSM is the best.

Again it depend on your application, budget and enviroment.

Salam

gprs vs gsm

GPRS (General Packet Radio Service) is a non-voice value added service that allows information to be sent or recovering across a mobile phone. It is practically packet switching data service on the GSM network. This is achieved by modifying the GSM architecture by adding SGSN (Serving GPRS Support Node) and GGSN (Gateway GPRS Support Node)

In my opinion go for the GSM it is easier if the infrastructure is already laid out. The extra thing is with GPRS modulation (C1-C4) scheme is different which would mean extra work but the advantage of GPRS is that you will be saving on bandwidth resource.

u should better study articles regarding GPRS at wikipedia.org for better understanding.

gprs vs gsm

gprs is a better option if u want to transmit large amount of data and if the data is very les use gsm.There are many gsm/gprs modules availabale in the market which have both the capabilities(GSM & GPRS).there cost s in range of 30$-100$

Can we interface camera with gsm modem? and start video call?

Please guide.:|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back